In Their Own Words


Patients tell it like it is, which is why the stories presented here are so valuable to you. We go to our patients frequently and ask if they are willing to share their healthcare story. Many agree because they hope their story might help someone else facing a similar situation.  There is power in knowledge and we believe there is much to be learned by all of us through the stories they tell.

We want to give special thanks to all the patients presented here.  Your willingness to share your healthcare stories has made a difference in the lives of many who have read them. We can attest to that.

The stories that have been written by Milford Regional staff and contracted writers are organized by specialty in the left column.  In addition to these stories, we have patients who have shared their story on their own and these stories can be seen below.

Edward Albertian’s story
Hopkinton, MA
Found myself unable to stand up as the room was spinning uncontrollably at 3AM this AM. I was about to shower for a 5:30AM flight to DC but my wife called the ambulance and there I met Dr. Hopkins. Calm, great bed manner, sensitive and a very good listener. Within minutes after checking my vitals and conferring with the ambulance crew, Dr. Hopkins felt my condition mimicked the symptoms of Benign Positional Vertigo. After about 2 hours, I started to feel better and just can't say enough about Dr. Hopkins, he was sensational in every regard. If you have an emergency, if you want to be in the company of competence and sensitivity, Dr. Hopkins is A#1. I was sent home about 8 hours after arriving and felt like a totally different person; motor skills, ideas for what to look for going forward and what to expect in the way of a full recovery were well documented. Life is funny, when thrown a curve ball you get to meet wonderful human beings; Dr. Hopkins is one of those rare individuals.

Gina Padula’s story
Bellingham, MA

I was admitted into the hospital on a Wednesday for a scheduled induction. On Thursday evening I was not progressing and my Dr. wanted to roll me down for a c-section. I was really nervous and in tears about the thought. A nurse by the name of Christine would now be attending to me until 11:00pm. Christine knew that I was very upset. She said that there were plenty of things that we could try before throwing in the towel. Christine and my husband had me up on the bed on all fours while she held the Doppler underneath my stomach. I dilated from a 5 to 10 in a half hour. I was in pain and shaking and Christine was completely determined to get me where I needed to be. My Dr. came back in the room for one last internal exam, she was very surprised. I pushed for 45 minutes and had a beautiful baby boy. We were lucky to have had Christine come in when she did. I really hope that she will be recognized for her dedication and hard work that she put into my delivery.

Thomas Wood’s story
Uxbridge, MA
My aunt was brought to the emergency room by ambulance in a cardiac arrest and did not survive. I am writing this to say what a wonderful job the Nurse Liaison, Linda or Lynn M did in assisting the family in coping with the situation. She was comforting, informative and available for all of the family members who eventually came to the emergency room escorting them to the room to pay last respects. As not only a family member, I appreciated her assistance and am proud to say I am also a co-worker as an employee of MRMC. 

Nancy Russo’s story
Hopedale, MA
In 2010 I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, a genetic connective tissue disease. While being checked for that at Brigham and Women's, I was having chest pains and was sent to the ER for a scan thinking there was a leak in my aorta. It was then my lung cancer was found. My primary was notified and I received a call from Dr. Ciaran McNamee. This was February of 2011. Immediately I was put at ease. I was seen quickly and soon had my surgery. I had just recently lost my mother in 2010 and my father passed the day after my cancer surgery. The whole staff was so wonderful. They were so caring and sympathetic to my cancer and my father passing. I now have been a volunteer for a little over two years at Milford Regional. I am a Compassionate Companion. I run errands as well as volunteer at the Cancer Center whenever possible. To be able to give back to the hospital and its patients for all the care and support I received has been a blessing from God.

  • Engage with us Online