- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp celery, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp green pepper, finely diced
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup raw potatoes, peeled, diced, and 1/2-inch
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk, fat-free or low-fat (1%)
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan.
2. Add celery, onion, and green pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Pour 1/2 cup of milk into a jar with tight-fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
5. Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Makes 4 servings
Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
The original recipe can be found on www.health.gov