- 1½ Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- dash hot sauce
- 1 cup long-grain white or brown rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add celery and onions and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add water, juices, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice and bring back to a boil. Let stand covered until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
3. Stir in slivered almonds. Serve immediately as a side dish for a fish entrée.
Makes 4 servings.
This citrusy rice contains almonds, celery, and onions, but no added salt, for a flavorful low-sodium side dish.
The original recipe can be found on www.health.gov