Tomato Basil and Bean Pasta Salad
- 1 pound ziti or bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped basil leaves
- 3 large, coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans (cooked or canned drained, or try garbanzo beans or black beans)
- 1 cup cubed or shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese, cubed or shredded (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, vinegar, Dijon-style mustard and pepper to make vinaigrette.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, beans, basil and tomatoes. Pour vinaigrette over top and toss together. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
4. If desired, add nuts and cheese just before serving, tossing again to combine.
Add other fresh chopped vegetables such as cucumbers, peppers, small summer squash, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower.
Use your favorite salad dressing instead of making your own.
Use cooked rice or cooked, cut up potatoes in place of pasta.
The original recipe is from the Connecticut Food Policy Council, Farm Fresh Summer Recipes