Spicy Southern Barbecued Chicken
- 5 Tbsp (3 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp white vinegar
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp ginger, grated
- 1½ lb chicken (breasts and drumsticks), skinless
1. Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan.
2. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Place chicken on large platter and brush with half of sauce mixture.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Place chicken on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
6. Turn oven to 350º F and add remaining sauce to chicken. Cover chicken with aluminum foil and continue baking for 30 minutes.
Removing the chicken fat and skin and adding no salt to the tasty sauce makes this chicken favorite a heart-healthy favorite!
Original Recipe found on Nutrition.gov