Mediterranean Baked Fish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes-drained (reserve juice)and coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup reserved tomato juice, from canned tomatoes
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange peel, grated
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ½ tsp dried basil, crushed black pepper to taste
- 1 lb fish fillets (sole, flounder, salmon, or sea perch)
1. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet. Add onion, and sauté over moderate heat 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except fish.
3. Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
4. Arrange fish in a 10- by 6-inch baking dish; cover with sauce.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 375º F about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Makes 4 servings
This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion, and garlic sauce to make it lower in fat and salt.
The original recipe can be found on www.health.gov