- 1 lb lean beef (top round)*
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ¾ Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup plain yogurt, low-fat
- 6 cups cooked macaroni, cooked in unsalted water
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a non-stick skillet. Sauté onion for 2 minutes.
2. Add beef and sauté for additional 5 minutes. Turn to brown evenly.
Remove from pan and keep hot.
3. Add remaining oil to pan; sauté mushrooms.
4. Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
5. Add wine and yogurt; gently stir in. Heat, but do not boil.
6. Serve with macaroni.
*Using lean top round beef, plain low-fat yogurt, and very little added salt makes this a heart-healthy dish.
If thickening is desired, use 2 teaspoons cornstarch; calories are the same as flour, but cornstarch has double thickening power. These calories are not figured into the nutrients per serving.
Original Recipe found on Nutrition.gov