Irish Yogurt Soda Bread
- 4 cups Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking Soda
- 3 teaspoons baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Currants
- 2 tablespoons Caraway seed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup plain low-fat Yogurt, mixed with:
- 3/4 cup Water
1. Stir the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the currants and caraway seeds; add eggs.
3. Add the yogurt and water mixture and stir until a sticky batter is formed.
4. Knead on a well-floured surface for 1 minute, then shape into a ball and place in a well-greased round casserole dish.
5. Mark a cross in the center with a sharp knife and bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Remove bread from casserole dish and allow to cool on a wire rack.
7. Slice thinly to serve.
Freezes well and is best the day after baking!
The original recipe can be found on www.healthyeating.org