- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- 1 egg, whole
- ¼ cup soft (tub) margarine
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
4. Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
5. Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes in an 8- by 8-inch greased baking dish. Cool.
7. Cut into 10 squares.
Use 1% buttermilk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
The original recipe can be found on www.health.gov